Artisan Center Theater is looking for SCENIC DESIGNERS.
This is a stipend position to the right candidate.
Job Summary: The Scenic Designer is responsible for working with the director in designing the set and overseeing the design of large props/furniture the actors will use in performance. Creative collaboration among the prop designer, director and scenic designer ensures that the designs are smoothly integrated into the production as a whole. Their designs need to faithfully reflect the feel of the show, while reinforcing the mood and style of the overall production.
Scenic Designer Responsibilities:
- Read script to get a feel for the flavor and spirit of the show and to list its specific requirements; collaborate with the Director, Producer, Artistic Director, Illuminations Designer, and other designers to ensure the creation of a unified look and feel for the production.
- Develop a preliminary concept for the show that: a) suggests the style, b) creates mood and atmosphere, c) gives clues as to the specific time and place of the action, d) offer creative possibilities for the movement and grouping of the actors
- After consultation with the director, draw up the final scenic designs and meet with the director and producers for approval. Once approved, produce all needed ground plans/elevations/detail drawings for scenery, paint and properties.
- Stay in budget and make deadlines
- Attend all production meetings to ensure that each design is linked effectively. Communicate with the director and production team as needed.
- Assist the build crew, as agreed upon with Executive Producer
- Check in on the progress of the build periodically, ensuring vision being realized correctly
- Coordinate load-in for the production, communicating with stage crew and stage management regarding instructions and expectations.
- Dress the final set; set should be finished by Friday before opening.
- Attend designer/producer runs and tech rehearsals; take notes on any changes that need to be made
- Coordinates strike, ensuring responsible return of any borrowed/loaned pieces.
- Be familiar with safe operating procedures of working in the scene shop.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and respect for others at all times.
- Communicate and enforce Texas Code of Conduct. No use of alcohol or illegal substances is allowed in and around Artisan Center Theater.
Abilities and Qualifications:
- Collaborative, inventive, proactive, able to process opinions and feedback from multiple listeners, and multi-taskers.
- Ability to work alongside and serve as a member for the production staff
- Possess a well-spoken manner in personal communications
- Self-motivation and attention to details
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Make good use of time and able to meet deadlines
- Positive can-do attitude
- Is a team player
- Has personal and professional integrity and an exemplary work ethic—is a leader
- Previous experience in scene design
- Work schedule varies and includes evening and weekend hours.
Please send cover letter, resume, and interview request to:
Natalie Burkhart: email@example.com