Artisan Center Theater is looking for a WARDROBE SUPERVISOR.
This is a full-time position to the right candidate.
*Costume Design, if desired, would be eligible for an additional stipend.
Job Summary: The Wardrobe Supervisor (a full-time hourly position) is responsible for ensuring smooth running performances of every production, which includes; changing, quick changing, maintaining and continuing consistency with the original costume design; working with the Costume Shop Manager to identify needs for supplies, equipment, materials, and training wardrobe crew as needed. The Wardrobe Supervisor is responsible for every costume from the time they leave the Costume Shop at the beginning of tech/dress rehearsals until the production closes, which includes laundering, cleaning, and maintenance during the performance run, and return to the Costume Shop at the end of the scheduled production run.
Wardrobe Supervisor Responsibilities:
- Works with Costume Designer to create running lists for each production
- Works with Costume Designer to create costume plots for each actor in a production
- Conducts orientation for each wardrobe crew member when applicable.
- In collaboration with Costume Shop Manager assigns specific duties to all wardrobe crew members.
- Communicates and coordinates with Stage Management any show related needs including but not limited to entrance and exit plots, costume presets and run of show needs.
- Sets wardrobe crew work-call for every performance in coordination with the production schedules as needed.
- Supervises all Volunteers that are required for wardrobe related production needs.
- Dresses actors or facilitates quick changes for any actor as needed.
- Attends specific run-thru and technical/dress rehearsals.
- Reviews each costume with Costume Designer, Costume Design Assistant, and Costume Shop Supervisor to understand and “know” the entire show.
- Attends all Costume Shop meetings as required.
- Coordinates show strikes for costumes, laundry, and restocking costumes into storage.
- Assist in the costume shop as needed and as skills apply.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Working knowledge of all aspects of the theatre process, including but not limited to production, technical, costume construction, and costume repair.
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, visual.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work productively under severe time pressures and meet deadlines.
- Extensive knowledge of clothing and theatrical practices.
- Thorough understanding of the costume design and construction processes and all the related aspects, and how they relate to the overall theatre production process.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, or: equivalent transferable skills from other training with 2-3 years of professional experience in a similar position.
- Evidence of sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and volunteers, and to staff and volunteers with disabilities.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a vehicle for transportation to and from business-related events.
- Ability to work long hours and work with a flexible schedule.
- May have to work at heights, around moving machinery, and with exposure to noise, vibration, and dust.
- Must be willing to travel and work at various sites.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions while using the appropriate safety procedures.
- Ability to work safely in an environment containing potentially hazardous electrical equipment, fumes, and/or materials.
- This position will need to remain seated at a sewing machine for periods of time.
- This position will need to ascend/descend a ladder to access or replace costumes.
- This position will need to transverse multiple levels of scenery, and backstage areas to assist and oversee costume needs for each production.
- This position will regularly handle a variety of fabric and costumes which will be a variety of textures and finishes
- This position will need to handle fabric and costumes weighing up to 50 pounds.
- This position will be required to communicate with staff and volunteers on the proper method and practices of theatrical costumes and professionalism.
Send cover letter, portfolio, and resume to Chris Speer at firstname.lastname@example.org.